This is a refreshing salad served all year round but it is best when tomatoes are in season and ripe. It is named after the Shopi people of Sofia region.
(Serves 4-6, prep time 15 min)
(The best salad for Rakia –type of Bulgarian brandy)
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium red or green pepper
- 1 green onion or 1 small white onion
- 4 tbsp. fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or sunflower oil
- a pinch of salt
- 4 oz. solid feta cheese block (to be grated) or crumbled feta to be sprinkled
- Wash all of the vegetables and pat dry.
- Cut the onions and peppers into small pieces, ¼ -inch wide.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut vertically into 4 strips. Cut each strip horizontally into pieces ½-inch wide.
- Cut the tomatoes the same size and mix the vegetables in a large bowl with the parsley, oil and salt.
- Divide the salad mix into equal portions and place on salad plates.
- Grate feta cheese generously over the top of each serving.
Copyright Eli Potter Productions