Torta Garash – Flowerless Chocolate Torte
(Serves 12, prep 30 min, cook 20 min, and decorate 10 min)
- 2 cups finely ground walnuts
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tabs. Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. rum or brandy
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- Two greased and parchment-lined 10-inch round pans.
- Break eggs and separate yolks from whites in two large bowls.
- Add butter to the egg yolks and cream well with a mixer.
- Add one cup powdered sugar, rum, vanilla and cocoa and mix well.
- Reserve 2/3 of this mixture for frosting the Garash torte and keep cold.
- In the second bowl with the egg whites, add the ½ of powdered sugar and beat about 30 minutes until snow-like peaks form. Mixers don’t do this very well, you may have to do it by hand. Keep the bowl warm for best results.
- Gently fold-in the ground walnuts to the egg whites.
- Add the last 1/3 of cocoa to the mixture and mix gently.
- Pour equal amounts of mixture into two greased and parchment-lined 10-inch round pans.
- Bake side by side in preheated to 375 F oven, approximately 2o minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Remove from pan and peel paper gently.
- Place one torte on the bottom and frost.
- Place the other torte on top.
- Frost the top and sides with reserved softened cocoa mixture.
- Garnish with green sugar.
Copyright Eli Potter Productions